Before filling out the application, we ask that you read the following information to ensure that you qualify as an applicant:
Thank you for your interest in applying for a New Horizons Service Dog
The process is as follows:
- The Service Dog Application form must be completed along with a recent photo and a $50 non-refundable application fee. Download Here
- The Medical History Form must be filled out by your primary care physician and returned directly to NHSDI. Download Here
- The proof of income (financial) information must include a W-2, pay stubs, social security statement or any document that proves your income for one month.
- A letter of reference must be submitted directly to NHSDI on your behalf by a non-family member. Download Here
- Your eligibility will be determined when all of the above paperwork is received in our office. You will receive an email letting you know your file is complete and you have been placed on the waiting list.
- Please keep in mind that our waiting period can take up to 1 – 1 1/2 years for mobility and PTSD and 1 1/2 – 2 years for autism. All eligible applicants remain on file until we are able to place each and every service dog with the client they are best suited for.
- You will hear from us, closer to the time of placement, when we will request a personal interview.
- You are responsible for all costs related to a 2-week Team Training, in which you will come to the Central Florida area with the dog every day for 2 weeks under our guidance and instruction.
- There is no cost for the service dog, however, there are costs related to the receiving of the dog. Please read the FAQ and this information page in its entirety.
- We ask for your help in fund-raising so that you are able to pay it forward and make a donation to New Horizons so that we can continue our mission of placing service dogs with people who need them just like you. In addition, New Horizons always needs volunteers in all facets.
- You are also responsible for all costs relating to the dog’s care once the dog is placed with you.
- The cost for the two week training largely depends on where you are located and if you will require hotel accommodations (we do not provide housing and the team training is located in Deland, FL *Volusia County) The hotel costs can range anywhere from $59.00 per night and upwards depending on the time of year. You will be responsible for all costs associated with traveling (food, gas lodging, etc.). We do work with local hotels to get their best deal and block out rooms.
- As of January 1, 2020 there is a non-refundable $500.00 fee to reserve your spot for Team Training and also includes supplies for the dog such as a vest, first bag of food, leash, collar, bowl, or grooming supplies. This fee is due at the time you are notified you will be included in this class.
- The fundraising/donation to New Horizons is considered a pay it forward program for the next client in line to receive a dog and has nothing to do with you receiving a dog or the time frame in which you would receive it. There is no specific amount required but we are a 501(c)(3) program that runs strictly off of private donations, fundraising and community support so the more involved you can become, the more people we will help.
New Horizons Service Dogs is unable to provide service dogs at this time for the following conditions:
- Low vision or individuals who are blind.
- Individuals looking for a medical alert dog for diagnosis such as diabetes, seizures and severe allergies.
- Individuals who are deaf.
- Mental health diagnosis such as schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, borderline personality disorder, etc.
Note: New Horizons Service Dogs does not provide animals for Seizure Alert or Diabetic Coma.
New Horizons primarily places service dogs to Florida Residents.
**Please remember to contact our office and update your file should any of your contact information change**